Thursday, May 22, 2014

Smokers can still light up at parks



...a bit of common sense from a small desert community in Arizona..



Thansks to Audrey Silk for posting this on FB via NYC CLASH:



Council Member Tami Ring said she took anpoll at her workplace and found her coworkers — all nonsmokers — said it didn’t matter to them that people smoke in parks, because it’s not inan enclosed area. Ring said she thought the police department would have trouble enforcing it and it’s “unnecessary.”



Most people are not zealots when it comes to the issue of smoking, vaping, and/or tobacco use. Take comfort in knowing that it is they that are abnormal and intolerant.


This rings especially true:


“It borders on freedom of speech. I don’t think this is right for Bullhead City,” said Vice Mayor Kathy Bruck.



A few of us in the blogosphere have been saying this for awhile now and it makes perfect sense when you think about it, for when one attempts to ban something on the grounds of "we don't want to see you putting anything into your mouth" um, because we don't personally approve of it, then said person or group is attempting to regulate freedom of expression and speech.


Is there anything more integral to a free society than freedom of speech? I shudder to think of a world where even the poets have gone silent.



...pretty place that Bullhead City...







I've always been a big fan of the desert and its sounds of howling coyotes in the night. Perhaps I'll make it back out west someday . If and when I do, I'm going to have to make sure to make a pit-stop in Bullhead City to see if I can soak up some of that strange voodoo that appears to be in such limited supply most everywhere else.



Smokers can still light up at parks - Mohave Daily News: News

3 comments:

  1. I'm from Arizona. Big state, a lot of it is dry desert, but still has many points of serene beauty. If you go, check out Antelope Canyon up north near Page, AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from Arizona. Big state, a lot of it is dry desert, but still many areas of serene beauty. If you go, check out Antelope Canyon up north near Page, AZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! That's Navajo country. I shot a band low budget video (aka, crew of two) with my guitarist and a friend there. We drove around the 4 corners. It was quite beautiful from what I remember..lol..and I even remember getting a thumbs up from a Navajo police cruiser that passed us by while we were shooting our music video on the side of the freeway. We didn't drive by Antelope Canyon. Maybe I'll check it out next time for fun and not work. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.