According to the article, a 3rd conviction (err...for tossing a cigarette butt) would equate to a class 4 FELONY offense, punishable by a fine of $25,000 and no less than 1 YEAR (& not more than 3) in Jail!
There are some questions that residents of Illinois should be asking:
1) Who the hell drafted up such a draconian law and who paid them to do it?
2) Who voted for this atrocity?
3) Does the punishment fit the crime?
4) Do we still live in the United States of America?
5) Don't we already have plenty of non-violent "offenders" inhabiting our broke, over-crowded, and (often) corrupt prison industrial complex system, thanks in no small part to our failed war on
7) Is it likewise a felony to drop a gum wrapper after a third offense? If not, then doesn't this draconian legislation position itself in direct conflict with the principles of the 14th amendment to the U.S. Constitution? ....and what of the 8th Amendment? Do we even have a Constitution anymore?
8) What is going on in the minds of our elected officials? Have they gone insane?
9) Don't (I apologize for the redundancy) we already have laws on the books pertaining to litter?
Do read the article...just make sure that you're sitting down first.