Saturday, January 12, 2013

An Apology

Ugh....yesterday I posted a link to a new book about nutrition for smokers with a short commentary about how I looked forward to reading the book. Anyhow, upon going to the website of the authors this morning (with coffee in hand), all that I could find were condescending blog posts about how smoking is so bad that it even "causes worse hangovers" (like alcohol and dehydration don't have anything to do with it). I did not see one blog post about vitamins or how a current smoker might reduce his/her risk of future illness.

As someone who is interested in vitamins and integrative medicine I welcomed this book as something refreshing and new (ie., their selling point was about nutrition for former smokers and current smokers that don't want to quit)...boy was I mistaken. Me thinks that it was anti-skullduggery....ie., a trick to ploy me/us into an anti site. The last thing that we need is some high-brow "expert"  who feels that it is his/her duty to PREACH to an audience that has no interest in being read a sermon. I know that I am personally tired of being nagged about my lifestyle choices and I get the feeling that I am not alone; however, this does not mean that I am not interested in health and harm reduction. I just don't like being "told" that there is only one singular path to harm reduction. Maybe the book (I'll have to take a look at it in it's entirety) has some valuable information, but the website (and blog), however, is patronizing as hell.  I have therefore removed yesterday's post as a result. I apologize to anyone who may have been as offended as I was.

It's a tricky world out there:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget